Like with all good things, you need to know when to pull the plug on fuck buddy relationships. You’ve had your sex, you’ve had good times with your affair partner, but things are beginning to stagnate or worse in a fuck buddy relationships, you’re starting to get a little too emotionally intimate. Whether it’s on your side or that of your affair partner, it’s still something that needs to be looked at and not ignored. Some people when presented with problems think that these problems will go away after some time has passed, but this is rarely the case.
In fact, ignoring burgeoning feelings or a lack of interest in a fuck buddy relationship often serves to make matters worse in the long run even if you are able to gain some short-term returns.
We’ve talked before about when to end your fuck buddy relationship and now that you’ve decided that it’s time to act, it’s all about the how.
1. Be polite. This isn’t the time to get angry and flip tables. What is there to get angry about anyway? You’ve had a fun time and now that fun time is over, time to get on with your lives. Be polite when you’re dumping a fuck buddy and don’t bring up anything that you didn’t like over your time with them. It’s over. Done. Remember that finality.
2. Don’t let yourself get pulled into a fight. Remember that the whole point of the fuck buddy relationship was to be able to have sex without having to deal with the baggage that comes with sex. You can be polite to a point, but if they’re going to try to draw you into a fight then it’s not going to be worth your time. Extract yourself from the situation and be the bigger person, don’t stop down to their level and fight back.
3. Any medium works for dumping a fuck buddy. Due to the lack of emotional feelings behind a fuck buddy relationship, you don’t need to go through the pomp and circumstance that you would have to with a normal relationship. This means that you can dump them over the phone, through text, through email. Just make sure that you keep things nice. There’s no sense in leaving on a sour note. For most regular relationships, dumping in person is recommended. For fuck buddy relationships, we recommend dumping over a phone call as your top choice.
4. Don’t forget to thank them. They gave you some good times and don’t let your apprehension over the dumping process overwhelm your gratitude. Thank them for the times that you’ve had and wish them the best in the future.
5. Explain as much or as little as you want. Remember that you don’t really owe much in the way of explanations. You can tell them exactly why you’re not interested in your fuck buddy relationship any more or you can just skim over it. You don’t owe any details and how many details you give are completely dependent on you.
6. Don’t stay in contact. It’s tempting to keep that fuck buddy on the line, but keeping in contact is more something that you would do with a friends with benefits relationship. When it comes to fuck buddies, staying in contact is a strange thing to do at best and one that could be detrimental to both at you at worst. Why are you breaking it off? Was it because of feelings developing? If so, then you’re definitely going to want to cut off any contact.