Affairs are nothing new, but the numbers and statistics related to marriage and having affairs might actually surprise you. In the latest poll 40 percent of Americans believe marriage is obsolete, up from 28 percent in 1979. In 1990 and still in 2009, the #1 state for divorced couples is... Nevada. The #1 state where couples stayed married is... Massachusetts.
Oprah Winfrey's website has an Infidelity Quiz, that tests your knowledge about how much you know about Infidelity. Here are some of the statistics from the quiz in relation to why men decide to have an affair:
- Over 50 million married men in the United States are currently cheating on their wives.
- About 50 percent of cheating husbands have multiple affairs.
- About 10 percent of cheating husbands say their marriages have absolutely nothing to do with their cheating.
- Less than 10 percent of cheating husbands tell their wives they've cheated without being questioned.
- More than 50 percent of cheating husbands never admit to cheating.
- About one-third of husbands say they never feel guilty about cheating on their wives.
- The number one signal that a husband is cheating or on the road to cheating is him spending more time away from home.
- Surprisingly not even 10 percent of unfaithful husbands say they cheat because they're predominantly unhappy with their sex lives.
- Just as surprisingly only about 10 percent of cheating husbands say their wives' appearance is the number one cause of sexual dissatisfaction in the relationship.
- Again, about ten percent of men say their mistresses are better looking or have better bodies than their wives.
- The number one reason husbands say they feel emotional dissatisfaction in the marriage is because they feel unappreciated or their wives are not thoughtful or caring. We can assume that this is the same number one reason that men decide to have an affair.
- The average U.S. couple spends only about 10 minutes a day talking to each other.
- Astonishingly, more than 75% of husbands who have an affair have close friends who also engage in cheating.
- More than 50% of unfaithful husbands witnessed their fathers cheat on their mothers.
Infidelity isn't something people like to talk about -- much less confess. Does anyone really want to admit to being a cheating partner, especially to a pollster. But the following poll results might help put in perspective the frequency and number of adulterers.
Infidelity statistics from the Associated Press.
It's tough to get a handle on how many of us are having affairs, given the inherent secrecy.
Newsweek magazine has exposed a well-kept secret—the sex lives of American wives. What they've discovered is startling. An estimated 15 percent of women cheat on their husbands. Thus debunking the myth that the men are engaging in all of the extramarital activities.